Friday, October 23, 2009

Playing softly on my guitar

I picked up my guitar today after a long hiatus. I got inspired to start playing again. Probably all those you tube videos I watch..where everyone is covering someone else's song.

I got the guitar as a gift from my husband 2 years ago. Both are birthdays are in December and just 2 days apart. So suddenly he said, he wanted to buy me a guitar as a birthday gift. I was initially surprised and thrilled at the same time. I left my electric guitar, and bass in the Philippines coz it won't fit in my overweight baggage 1 piece. And I didn't really think about music at that time. So when he said he wanted to get it for me..I was excited.

We went to a guitar store in Milford and oohhhlala the choices are endless. This was a different buying experience than going to 'Raon. So I settled on a shining chestnut beauty and was looking forward to playing..and playing...

It seems that I really didn't have time to play. With everything else going on I probably picked up the guitar once a week. And besides, guess who is taking up my guitar time? My hubby. He was constantly playing on MY guitar every night to the point that it drove me nuts. I finally discovered who the guitar was really for, it was for him. And I was just the excuse. Oh brother.

So going back, I started playing a few tunes, little rusty, a little stiff, and all my calluses were gone so I had throbbing fingertips. Just belted out tune after tune, remembering my band days. Late nights at Club Dredd, Mayrics and all those small anonymous bars that frequented and played at. I think we played at every party that was ever had. Small birthday parties, big outlandish debuts as long as there was space to set up amps and the drums, we were there.

Looking back, I still cannot believe I had the nerve to get up on stage and rock out. Headbanging and belting our original songs to a crowd that would be inconsistent...loving one moment and uninterested the next. So many experiences like having crowd dissolve in a mosh pit while we're playing, or the crowds initially cheering coz when five women walk on stage, they think we are cute or we are gonna play cute songs, just because we are women. But as soon as Aleth's drums start banging, my bass riff ripple through the crowd, Nadine's guitar solo screams out and Lovella's vocals demand to be heard, all in one cohesive moment Alda's melody on the keyboards brings it all in..yeah we rock!

So, today, I picked up the guitar again after sooooo long. I guess I got inspired by a friend of mine who is an accomplished piano player. He has been playing since he was 5 yrs old. I guess you would call him a protegee, graduate of Julliard. And he is doing what he loves. I am no child protegee. I didn't get formal training in piano, or guitar or bass or drums. I do it all by ear. But bottom line, it really doesn't matter. Coz music transcends that. It transcends age, time, and sometimes life. Life often times gets in the way of music and especially when one can barely find the time to get 4 hours of sleep in 24 hours of the day. But I just realized that it kinda soothes my soul. And quiets the beast inside. Music does tame the beast.

So I spend a few minutes strumming my guitar, a little rusty..but who cares? I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment